- Flaco translates to "dude". Tempranillo is Spain’s signature grape. Madrid is the great unknown in terms of Spanish wine regions, but it’s the home to old Tempranillo vineyards and wines selling at excellent prices. Flaco is fun to sip by itself but would be a highly versatile food wine. Cheers to this expressive taste of Madrid at a super price for a sustainable estate wine of this quality. Local price/750 ml: 10. (included in Woodland Wine Merchant 6/60 deal, 2/9/17.)
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-24.
- Tags: #redwine | #spain | #tempranillo | #chickenwine
Carmenère: Alive and Well.
- Cheers to the family-owned Apaltagua Winery for producing small batch, estate grown, appellation-based wines from Chile. Consulting winemaker Alvaro Espinoza has pioneered biodynamic grape farming techniques and he was one of the first to bottle Chilean Carmenère. The grape had been misidentified as Merlot by Chilean producers, which wasn't good because Carmenère ripens later than Merlot. Thanks in part to Espinoza, Carmenère is now one of Chile's signature varietals. Given time to ripen, it's dark, fruity and spicy with green notes and soft tannins. Apaltagua is a perfect introduction to Chilean Carmenère and a excellent value.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-21.
- Tags: #redwine | #burgerwine | #chile | #carmenère
"Independence and Sophistication"
- Trey Zoeller founded Jefferson's in 1997, naming the flagship bourbon after the third President because "he embodied both independence and sophistication". Cheers to TZ and Jefferson's for keeping the batches very small and sophisticated indeed for the price. Jefferson's Very Small Batch Bourbon has complexity and depth owing to the blending of four different select bourbons varying in recipe and age. The barrel influence has mellowed the bite and brought out a myriad of aromas, and it finishes very well.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-20.
- Tags: #bourbon | #kentucky
Argentina to you.
- LaPosta translates to "the tavern" where the farmers meet to discuss their soils, their vines, their quest for superior flavors. Cheers to Laura Catena and winemaker Estela Perinetti who produce this line in collaboration with Argentina's best small-family growers. The grapes for Tinto were grown at an average 3,000 foot elevation on vines 30 years old. This is a delicious blend of 60% Malbec, 20% Syrah and 20% Bonarda, a great deal as part of Woodland Wine Merchant's 6/60 deal, 2/9/17.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-17.
- Tags: #redwine | #malbec | #argentina | #burgerwine
Climbing Mount Ventoux.
- Avignon's Caravinserail produces this striking Rosé on the southern slopes of the 6,273 foot Mount Ventoux, the vineyard elevation allowing slow ripening. Besides the origination of this wine, Mount Ventoux is also known as perhaps the most famous and feared of the great climbs of the Tour de France. In Fine is a delicious taste of Provence and a great buy.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-16.
- Tags: #rosewine | #france | #grenache | #rhone | #chickenwine
Woodland Wine Merchant's 6 for 60.
- Cheers to Woodland Wine Merchant's 6 for 60 promotion. This idea hits a remarkable price point and delivers a global wine experience curated by Nashville's favorite wine merchant. Will Motley's modest sized store covers a impressive collection of wines, spirits and beers that you probably won’t find elsewhere, right in the center of East Nashville. The 6 for 60 promotion is a perfect occasion for using my Clos Denim tote, and it has East Nashville style. Wine reviews to follow.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-15.
- Tags: #nashville | #business
Sonoma Friends forever.
- Cheers to four generations of the Pedroncelli family farming and making wine in Dry Creek Valley, nearly 90 years, and their mission to quietly create authentic wines at incredibly reasonable prices. In the hands of the third generation, it’s now a 70% woman-owned company. Friends.red Sonoma blend 2013 is an unreserved, easy-going blend of Merlot, Zinfandel, Syrah and Petite Sirah. It’s a ten dollar bottle of some the best Sonoma has to offer. Friend this red.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-13.
- Tags: #redwine | #california | #merlot | #zinfandel | #spaghettiwine
Stylish denim protection
for your bottled finds.
- The Clos, or walled vineyard has been used for centuries as a stylish way to protect grapes from man and beast. The Clos Denim six-bottle wine tote bag protects treasured bottle finds with heavyweight raw denim walls. Bottles stay quiet and safe as they are transported, and it's perfect for taking empties to be recycled. So you can say no to paper or plastic with style. Sewn in Blue Ridge, Georgia, the inaugural batch is limited to 48. Don't go on a bottle expedition without one. A $69 value, this first batch is sale priced at $49, and shipping within the continental US is included.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-06.
- Tags: #georgia | #closdenim
A very benevolent King.
- King Malbec 2014 is sort of like a delicious ready-to-drink Bordeaux. Guarachi Wine Partners is the producer and importer of this label. While their name isn’t that familiar, some of their southern/western hemisphere labels are. Cheers to this recently developed label that delivers super value.
- Full feature | Posted 2017-02-04.
- Tags: #redwine | #malbec | #argentina | #burgerwine | #steakwine
- Estancia is translated from the Spanish word for “estate”. Estancia, owned by Constellation Brands (NYSE: STZ), controls winemaking from experimental vineyard block trials to planting, harvesting, fermenting, and aging the wines. I recently picked these 2014 varietals at Donelson Liquors and was impressed with the current quality for the price. As for Donelson Liquors, their wine selection is fairly limited, but they do offer 10% off wines on Mondays. Cheers!
- Full feature | Posted 2017-01-31.
- Tags: #whitewine | #redwine | #california | #chardonnay | #cabernetsauvignon | #pinotnoir